Friday, November 22, 2013

A Reflection on Class

Since this will be my final blog post for my sports reporting class, I thought it would be appropriate to reflect on everything I’ve learned throughout the semester and what I will take away from the class.

To be honest, when I initially registered to take this class, it was mostly just because it fit with the rest of my schedule nicely. But I also thought it would be a good chance to learn an additional style of writing, to add sports reporting to my repertoire.
At the beginning of the semester, we focused on good writing and reviewed the basics. The first few weeks were spent learning about how to write game stories. Our first guest speakers taught us their own methods of keeping score at a game to prepare us for our first assignment: to write a high school football advance and game story. Though I was nervous about the assignment, I ended up enjoying the process and I’m glad I got the opportunity to learn the entire process.
Class continued as we learned about getting the most out of an interview and how to write feature stories. To practice these skills, we were required to write a profile on a KSU athlete. I wrote my story about softball player Bianca Durant. Later in the semester, I wrote a feature on the KSU men’s rugby club. Because I had to complete these assignments, I feel like I’m better prepared to write profiles and feature stories on athletes and teams.
Our other assignments included conducting a Q&A video interview with a player or coach not affiliated with KSU, composing a narrated photo essay, and presenting to the rest of our class the basics of covering particular beats. I interviewed soccer coach Clayton Schmitt for my video, covered indoor rock climbing for my photo essay, and explained to the class how to cover ice hockey, rowing, and triathlons.
Though this class had more assignments than most of my other classes, I’m glad it did. I feel like I gained a lot of knowledge and new skills from my experiences completing the projects. The guest speakers gave us advice that I know I will remember throughout my career. Even if I don’t pursue sports reporting in my future, I’m thankful that I chose to take this class and will be able to add sports reporting to my résumé.

No comments:

Post a Comment